Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Ghanaian Birthday :)

A micro birthday recap post :)  It's 9:30 PM and I have a call with my girls at ten, a trip to pack for, and a wake-up call at 4:30am, yet here I am sharing some words with you!  I had no idea what to expect from a birthday in Ghana, but my day was lovely.  I woke up to some wonderful birthday love on facebook, skype, and through email that made me smile wide; I opened the cards my family sent me that warmed my heart; and I ate all sorts of imported sweets I paid too much for.  I did some work that had to be done before I leave EARLY tomorrow for a week, then Rianne and Veronica came over to give me some gifts and more love.  They helped me test out some baking stuffs I bought to make chocolate chip cookies and the result...left something to be desired.  All the substitutes I had to make showed, and the "margarine" type solid tastes very artificial which transferred to the "cookie."  I didn't have enough time to cool and harden the melty batter so the cookies all joined up to make one super cookie chocolate chunk bread-like thing with a plastic aftertaste.
After my baking endeavor, Rianne and I headed back to the orphanage she works at for her farewell party.  I was delighted and surprised to find they made the party into a dual affair--Rianne's farewell and my birthday :)  The party was full of gifts, dinner, singing, dancing and icecream!  All the best things I could've asked for.  I was SO grateful for their kindness and generosity.  It really felt like my birthday.
 

 
 
 
I headed back to HCC where I didn't get a single "happy birthday", but that was ok.  I know it's not normally a big deal here :)  I'm just so thankful for the celebration I did get!

Thank you for all the love I received through all the different channels today.  I love you all so much!!!  Thank you, THANK YOU!!!  Now, off to Cape Coast for a little beach holiday :)

Love from Sandema,
Tippy


P.S. If you feel like giving me a little gift, consider donating to Horizons and our building project to provide the boys with a permanent new home :) http://holidaysathorizons.causevox.com/

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet birthday! I miss you so much, and though I am sad I didn't get to celebrate with you (and that our skype call was a bust), I am so glad you felt loved on your special day. Thank you for posting pictures and stories! I love you.

    PS Your "cookie" looks like a pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i finally sat down and read all of your posts. what an emotional journey you've been on, your writing makes me feel like i'm there with you.

    ReplyDelete